The Antidote

Counterspin for Health Care and Health News

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Senate passes mental health parity bill

New legislation passed today by the U.S. Senate will ensure that all health insurance plans cover mental health care at the same level as coverage for general health issues.

This reform is long overdue. From my own perspective, I recently picked up temporary health coverage with a modest premium of about $230 per month, and noticed when I got the paperwork that it didn't include a mental health rider. When I inquired about the cost with the mental health coverage, I was told my monthly premium would be on the order of $800 per month. So I skipped it, and prayed for mental fortitude, though as far as I know, prayer is not an evidence-based preventive intervention against mental illness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares